My demands as such fall completely in the context of WOW it's great here, there's a lot of wonderful things, great people working on the future, my glass is 98% full.
The weakness in my requests, and probably part of the reason that several of these things aren't accomplished, is that they involve regional vision and Pittsburgh is a Balkanized parochial mishmash. (but a very nice one to live in)
I must also recognize that my list consists of things I want OtherPeople to do and pay for. I think that some of these requests fall into the category of paint-and-signs, and some of these requests will bring "network" higher-added-values (I can't bring myself to say synergy). And with that:
- Complete some path from SouthSideWorks to Waterfront. Doesn't have to be the permanent path but damn, open the SC gate for now, etc. If I could only have one thing, this would be it.
- Develop simple, foolproof signage that helps a stranger riding from Ohiopyle to navigate the Boston-McKeesport-Duquesne-Waterfront-SouthSide- AND THEN WHAT? Station Square - Ft.Pitt Bridge OR Hot Metal Bridge - Jail Trail - Dahtahn Streets? The presentation that visitors see in the last 20 miles of riding into Pgh is confusing, non-intuitive, and not visitor-friendly.
- Riding 300 miles from DC to Boston PA? Simple.
- The last 20 miles to the Point? Impenetrable for a non-Yinzer.
- Classic old-school Pittsburgh, you have to already know how to get there to be able to get there.
- Opening the trail segment at SouthSideWorks - which looks quite ready.
- Signage/Marking telling cyclists how to get from SouthSide - StationSquare to PointStatePark to NorthSide. There's several ways to do it, but there's no way for an non-Burgher to easily know.
- Complete a signed/marked route from Station Square to Coraopolis and the Montour Trail. Could be: Put sharrows and share-the-road signs on 51 and Neville Island (and done!)
- The southern connection from GAP to Montour Trail needs attention, especially now that the Airport Connector is open. Which I love.
- The Panhandle Trail from Burgettstown to the WV State Line needs to be upgraded.
And in the 3-year timeframe (hey, we all have our fantasies, right?)
- Route/road/trail that extends the PanHandle to the City.
- Trail from Coraopolis to Monaca
- Trailside hostel in Pittsburgh
- Changing stations at a few trailheads like they have in Rockwood
- Bike lockers at a few key locations
Because It's Friday
1 hour ago