June 14, 2010

Gallons, Quarts, Pints, Cups: Measuring Up

There are concepts that I get, and then there are things I don't get. Some of my cognitive deficiencies are improvable, some have available workarounds, but there are some concepts I just don't process well. If I were a computer, we'd speculate that my Operating System had a few bits corrupted during installation. (insert BSoD joke here)

Something I've never been able to deal with normally is gallons, quarts, pints, and cups. I can deal with volume in the metric system effectively, and I can handle multivariable calculus, but somewhere between cups and quarts I become a blank-faced idiot.

My wife might ask me to go to the store and buy a quart of milk, which is a reasonable request but one which evokes in me a dread usually reserved for shopping for feminine products. I usually revert to asking "that's the tall thin one, not the tall thick one, right?". When you add the complexity of whole, 2%, 1%, skim -- I'm not up to it. It's not me at my most impressive.



Today the intertubes delivered this infographic by Emma Christensen of The Kitchn (via Lifehacker) which hopes to convey the relationship between these archaic units.

It would be a public service and a great kindness if stores would display this graphic wherever milk and paint are sold.

The store that did so would have my loyalty forever.

Or, maybe there's an App for that?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and Feedback? Love that stuff. Please leave your thoughts in the box below--