May 22, 2010

Deepwater Horizon Starring Kevin Costner

I have some beliefs that I have become attached to, and when you allow yourself to develop an attachment it can become part of your identity (so you need to be careful about it). People don't like to change their attachments.

Ever since I watched the 1990 film Dances With Wolves I have avoided Kevin Costner's work, because he directed (IMO) a revisionist and manipulative piece of propaganda, in the same manner as Oliver Stone's 1991 JFK, (starring Costner). Rhetorically, Dancing With Wolves was technically impressive, but I disagree with his purpose. Ever since, there are three little words that will prevent me from watching a movie: "Starring Kevin Costner".

I read an article in the Wednesday NY Times about Costner's investment in and championing of a technology that separates oil and water. And so, inevitably, I read the same news in the Saturday Post-Gazette.

(Critics of old media claim that newspaper stories have a volatile shelf life and are worthless the day after they're printed. The Post Gazette routinely prints national stories several days after they appear in the NY Times. Maybe they get a break on days-old news.)



I'm going to have to reconsider my position if Mr. Costner ends up resolving BP's Deepwater Horizon oil disaster, and I'm getting to an age where reconsidering is painful.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and Feedback? Love that stuff. Please leave your thoughts in the box below--